Ok…So I have been on and off of it…feeling guilty and not knowing if I should or shouldn’t…but after hearing an Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) module with Joy Bauer on it and researching it on the web for cross references, if discovered like most things… it’s all within balance..ENJOY!
-3-5 cups of coffee a day for middle aged people are 65% less likely to develop dementia or Alzheimer’s. (Alzheimer’s Journal 2009)
-Only women age 65+ who drank more than 3 cups a coffee per day had 33% less decline in memory over a 4 year period than women who drank 1 cup.
-White, Green and Black tea have the same amount of caffeine dependent on brewing time. http://www.livestrong.com/article/146904-caffeine-in-green-tea-vs-black-tea/
//Unfiltered = (Turkish, French Press, Expresso Coffee)// raises your LDL (bad cholesterol) so it’s not recommended for those with high cholesterol to drink often. If this is you…alternatively just use a shot of regular filtered coffee when getting a latte :-)***
//Sleeping Issues = Caffeine spikes within 20 min and lingers 3-8 hours// so make sure you’re not drinking it 3-8 hours before sleepy time.
//Decaf = Sensitive to coffee// if you get headaches, become irritable, nauseous, or shaky from caffeine…you may want to stick to drinking decaf
//Gastro Intestinal Issues = Crohns, Colitis, IBS? Both regular and decaf is an irritant. Listen to your body if you drink coffee and it makes you feel unwell in the stomach.
This book is quite amazing! An a must read if you are looking to get more insight on the human condition. Jonathan explains it with simple clarity with deep insight and intellectual sensibility. Most people pursue happiness outside themselves. Others think that it comes solely within. Jonathan explains how it comes from in between.
Happiness is not something that you can find, acquire, or achieve directly. You have to get the conditions right and then wait. Some of those conditions are within you, such as coherence among the parts and levels of your personality. Other conditions require relationships to things beyond you: Just as plants need sun, water, and good soil to thrive, people need love, work, and a connection to something larger. It is worth striving to get the right relationships between yourself and others, between yourself and your work, and between yourself and something larger thank yourself. If you get these relationships right, a sense of purpose and meaning will emerge. – Johnathan Haidt
I just came across an article about Oxalates in our FOOD and how consuming green smoothies and green leafy veggies can be dangerous for your health and I wanted to deconstruct some myths around what high oxalates in our food can contribute to the development of kidney stones, autism, vulvodynia, gout, arthritis. So I did some light research. I welcome you to question and do the same… This what I found.
- “Eating foods high in oxalate is not the only way for oxalate to get high in cells and blood. Our bodies make oxalate on their own, especially when certain enzymes aren’t balanced in their activity because of genetic differences or because someone has deficiencies in enzyme cofactors like vitamin B6, magnesium or thiamine. Oxalate also can be generated in the body when someone is getting high doses of vitamin C or consuming high levels of fructose.”
- “It is nuts for anyone not already under medical advice to select this leafy green over that based on oxalic-acid content. Oh, and don’t eat several pounds of rhubarb leaves (which no one eats anyway) at one sitting.”
- “The body has antioxidant and other protections against oxalate which work when the body burden of oxalate is low and the antioxidant resources high. These systems may be overwhelmed by higher levels of oxalate in the body’s tissues, or when infection (frequent immunization?) overwhelms the body’s antioxidant systems. For this reason, as long as someone continues to consume a high oxalate diet when their gut is “leaky” or when they are sick, then, eventually, in time, the damage may begin to appear as some organs begin to be affected by a buildup of oxalate, or by the disruption of the mineral chemistry that oxalate may inflict.”
- “A probiotic formulation of a bacteria called oxalobacter formigenes is under development as a drug for patients with hyperoxaluria and related conditions, and it is currently in clinical trials, but may not be available until 2012 or 2013.”
SUMMARY: Consult a physician or holistic practitioner if you have any concerns with Oxylates and how it may be affecting your current health. Question everything…even your doc…and the things I am writing 🙂 you won’t know it unless you feel and see it for yourself!
Remember it’s all about BALANCE and being accountable for it by putting ourselves into a ‘Checks and Balance’ by:
1. Getting in some exercise
2. Drinking tons of good water and eating a well-balanced plant-based diet
3. Experiencing healthy relationships
4. Enjoying what we do for work
5. Finding some time in your busy schedule to just “be” and connect with your inner self.
My Shilajit Concoction:
-1/2 Almond milk
-1/2 cup Young coconut water
-Dash of Cinnamon
Shilajit is considered one of the most important substances in the Indian system of Ayurvedic medicine. It’s name means “nectar of God”.
It has been used for thousands of years for longevity and a host of other ailments. Shilajit is a thick, blackish-brown mineral pitch resin that oozes out of cracks in the Himalayan mountains as the summer heat raises the temperature of the rock.
Shilajit is composed of centuries old, decomposed plants which are a potent source of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It just may be nature’s most potent trace mineral source. It’s a powerful adaptogen, helping protect against all types of mental and physical stress.
- As a powerful immune system booster
- Treat diabetes
- Treat respiratory conditions
- Treat coughs
- Sexual enhancer
- Potent vitamin and mineral source
- For longevity
- For anti-aging
- As an energy booster
- As an adaptogen
- Treat arthritis and joint pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Aid memory and thinking
- Reduce stress
- Reduce physical and mental fatigue
- Treat anxiety and depression
- For better powers of concentration
- Maintain heart health
- Treat high blood pressure
- Improve digestion
- Treat gastritis, constipation and indigestion
- Protect the liver and pancreas
- Increase blood circulation
- Protect and maintain the thyroid gland
- Increase metabolism
- For proper enzyme secretion
- For it’s anti-microbial properties
- Increase physical strength and endurance
- Treat premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction
- Treat urinary problems and kidney stones
- To detoxify the body and remove toxins
- Treat anemia
- Treat ulcers
- Increase natural growth hormone production
The heart is structurally different in different states of emotion.
All suffering is believed to come from the hallucination of the separate self.
There is no separate self.
We are all one.